Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Rip Van Winkle
Bottled ByOld Rip VanWinkle / Julian VanWinkle Lawerenceburg,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Available
Age10
Views (since 20080612) 28693
Bottling InfoThis fine whiskey has as pleasant a taste as any whiskey around. The 10 full years of aging combine nicely with its 90-proof. A hint of caramel flavor is enjoyed when one tastes this fine hand-crafted bourbon.

- Paul Pacult???s Spirit Journal

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1936, Created:20110314234725)
Purchased at:Binny's South Loop - Chicago
Purchased for:$30
Nose:Very warm nose, caramel and spice. Rich and deep w/ a hint of buttered popcorn.
Taste:Mild and quite smooth. Lots of vanilla
Finish:Lightly sweet and again quite smooth.
Overall:This is a very agreeable bourbon. It's not jam packed w/ flavor but every thing there is nice and well balanced. I prefer a more bracing whiskey but this will do in a pinch.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from vince (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1739, Created:20091029152912)
Purchased at:Owensboro, KY
Purchased for:$30
Nose:Milk chocolate and caramel with hints of cherry
Taste:Cherry with a vanilla, a hint of candied apples
Finish:Caramel with some melon, long smooth finish.
Overall:I really love this bourbon. It provides such a contrast to the Rye bourbons. Very smooth with strong chocolate, caramel and cherry components. Its well worth the price. Drink it neat

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1440, Created:20090120154131)
Purchased at:Cape Cod, MA
Purchased for:(see last post)
Info on this bottle:Old Rip Van Winkle (open from Spring of 08)
Nose:it hasn't diminished very much since last opening, still there since summer 08, even in travel with a few blips in temperature.
Taste:Sugary, with cherry notes and roses. This alongside of Lot-B walks hand-in-hand, although - more rye on this end.
Finish:It gently lingers and gets you - wanting more... long and spirited. There's almost a melon essence lingering at the very end (about 90 seconds) at this juncture. Pastry (danish) flavors mingling. It's awesome.
Overall:Unmistakable cherry, roses, and rye. I love it - 10 months later. BB

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1252, Created:20080821012610)
Purchased at:Plum's (Cape Cod, MA)
Purchased for:$31
Info on this bottle:Old Rip Van Winkle - 10 Years
Nose:Bubble Gum, Mixed Fruit, Caramel Apple, Golden Raisin, Vanilla, Brown Sugar, Mild Chocolate, Honey Dew Melon.
Taste:Slightly chewy, bold for a Wheater at this stage. Nothing really stands out - however, when we first popped this bottle it was a Ten. Drank it all day long during a rainy Saturday in April. Outstanding. And as I recall it had a good portion of Bing Cherry, like Cherry Garcia.
Finish:Slow to burn, dry. Medium length. Clean.
Overall:Half empty bottle from Spring 08, stored away - no nitro, and it hasn't lost its charm... the nose is wonderful. Although, the flavor profile dissipated to some degree. Still lots of wood and some texture. It's time to purchase another bottle... fun bourbon. BB

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1057, Created:20080406004307)
Purchased at:
Nose:Sweet on the nose now.. and light and fun in the mouth
Taste:
Finish:
Overall:nuts have appeared with the leather for the finish.

This is very good. Surprisingly so... great for the price...

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 941, Created:20071212143645, Updated:20071212175541)
Purchased at:Somewhere in Middle GA
Purchased for:All the money I had on me - maybe near bout $25
Info on this bottle:Autographed by Barleycorn (a damn pawprint)
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Just wonderful......vanilla, pecan pie, leather, wood, and caramel, all dancing a happy jig in your nose........preparing it, Pavlov-like, for a bourbon taste treat.
Taste:Tiptoes across your mouth with a rich corny sweetness overtaken by a cinnamon spice that tingles and almost tickles the tongue as it traips across the tonsils. Quite nice, actually.
Finish:A wee bit on the short side for the likes of moi...........but still respectable.
Overall:A bourbon on the softer side that has a lot of character and flavor contained in its 45% alcohol. It is so good that one is loath to play the devil's advocate. But........in my humble opinion, it falls just shy of either of its 15 YO siblings...........one of which is no longer available and the other of which is getting hard to find. Still, it holds its own in the very best of bourbon company and many bourbon lovers prefer it over the others.

'Barleycorn! Keep your mangy paws offin my 10 YO Old Rip Van Winkle and have a sip of your Old Crow.' ..........pets must be put in their place from time to time..........'Barleycorn, git back here with that bottle..........I will give you a Peppermint Patty for it!'

Review from Kendall (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 843, Created:20071001152918) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Liquor Mart II, Richmond Ky. (great store)
Purchased for:23.99
Info on this bottle:identical to the picture above
Nose:Sweet, butterscotch, chocolate
Taste:warm, caramel.
Finish:SMOOTH, clean and fast.
Overall:a good buy for $24.00, good beginner bottle. could probably drink too much too quick.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 709, Created:20070206150224)
Purchased at:Winder, GA
Purchased for:$25
Nose:Vanilla, oak, corn, nuts, leather, and a hint of citrus make a subtle, but not timid appearance. An excellent wheater nose that just says, 'I am yours for the evening baby!'
Taste:A moderated sweetness and mild spice slip into and across the mouth playfully. A very, very, good bourbon. It will not knock your socks off, but maybe you wanted to keep your socks on anyway.
Finish:A moderate finish that leaves a worthy impression.
Overall:To say that you could do worse would do a great injustice to this bourbon. It is an excellent quality product, holding its own agin just about all the other 10 YO players, especially if you prefer the 'softer' qualities of wheaters. I threw a very good bottle of MM agin it and it didn't stick. Them Van Winkles, ain't they something!!

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 441, Created:20060401090154)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:7.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Rich caramel and fruit - Apples, a little fine leather and a hint of chocolate.
Taste:Caramel and fruit - apples and dates, rich fine leather and oak. Very smooth with only a little warmth in the mouth.
Finish:Sweet caramel and oak that last a long time.
Overall:Very good neat - great drink before dinner as an apertif.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 257, Created:20050822130037, Updated:20050823073205)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$24
Nose:Vanilla, corn, leather, butterscotch, spice, a very nice nose with nice sweetness.
Taste:The nose outpromises the taste. Being familiar with the other Van Winkle products definitely prejudices my judgement here, I detect the absence of the sublety and complexity that more aging brings.
Finish:The finish is fairly long...... with alcohol and a bit of immaturity seizing the spotlight.
Overall:It is difficult to evalute Van Winkle products. They are unquestionably among the elite of bourbon producers (and, to all appearances, nice people). The 10 YO Old Rip is a very good bourbon, and evaluated against other 10 year old bourbons, is a stand out. In my humble opinion, 10 year old bourbons, as good as they are, fall just short of greatness. They are excellent spirits that always please, but, that is all they do (no small achievement). So it is with ORVW 10 YO. It is an excellent bourbon that is a bit shy of that nose, taste, complexity, finish, and overall satisfaction that belong to its own more mature siblings......... and to a handfull of other bourbons.

Review from abcgroup (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 248, Created:20050815191649)
Purchased at:Sprayberry Package Store
Purchased for:23.99
Info on this bottle:Standard liquor store bottle
Nose:Caramel with a bit of vanilla candied almonds, almost like pralines and cream.
Taste:The taste is similar to the nose: smooth caramel, very little burn. A "light" Van Winkle product.
Finish:Citrus flavors come out during the finish, a little bit of leather, no alcohol vapor.
Overall:This is a nice drink. It reifies my notion that there is no such thing as a bad Van Winkle product, but as BourbonV has pointed out, the 107 is better. This is worth owning but not a dire necessity.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 150)
Purchased at:Farnsley-Kaufamn House Auction 2002
Info on this bottle:Autographed by Julian Van Winkle III and Doug Farnsley
Nose:Vanilla and oak with a hint of pecans.
Taste:Caramel and pecans with a little corn bringing up the rear. Very smooth with only a little warmth in the throat.
Finish:Clean and sweet with a caramel nut flavor lingering for a shoet while before ending abruptly.
Overall:Not a bad product, but I find the 107 proof better with more flavor and a longer finish.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews